Southwestern Bean Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro and additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, mash one can beans with a fork; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the mashed beans, broth, corn, carrot, chilies, cumin, chili powder and remaining beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with cilantro and additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 236 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2016
I have this recipe in a Taste of Home "Best Loved Healthy Recipes" cookbook. The picture and ingredients led me to try this chowder -- it is a little bland as other reviewers said. I even used extra sharp white cheddar cheese and the cilantro. It was good; but next time, I may add a little taco seasoning to see if that spices it up - maybe even a fresh jalapeno.
Nov 30, 2014
not as spicy as I thought it would be.
Mar 12, 2014
Its different....i don't know that I will be making it again.
Feb 18, 2013
My husband and I are both diabetics and I am always looking for good tasting recipes. I picked up the taste of home diabetic family friendly cookbook at my local grocery store. This is the first recipe I tried, if the others are even half this good, I'll be happy. Thank You Taste od Home
Feb 1, 2012
I can see where some of the reviewers said this was bland. I think the extra cheese and cilantro really add to it, so make sure you put it on. Otherwise, it def. needs something.
Sep 22, 2011
Like some other people have said, it was a bit bland. I've had better southwest soup (e.g. southwest corn chowder on this site).
Jun 15, 2011
This was a delicious chowder! I have made it several times. Since I cook for 2 now, we had it as leftovers and it still tasted great.
Apr 27, 2011
Very flavorful soup. We enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of cilantro so I left it out. Thanks very much for the recipe!
Apr 4, 2011
this recipe is definitely a KEEPER... I added 14 oz can diced tomatoes w/jalapeno peppers...and put scoop of sour cream and I broke up blue tortilla chips in each bowl...Everyone went back for seconds.
Feb 13, 2011
I thought this soup was delicious and receive compliments whenever I make it. I was surprised to see that the other reviews thought it was bland. I've made it several times now, and add rotisserie chicken.