Creamy Black Bean Dip
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Tortilla chips
- In a food processor, cover and process cream cheese until smooth. Add half of the beans; cover and pulse until blended. Transfer to a bowl; stir in the cheese, onions, cumin, cayenne and remaining beans. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with cheese, tomato and onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 95 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Mar 21, 2016
Over the last few years I have made this dip repeatedly by request. Great for pot lucks and parties.
Feb 17, 2014
Delicious appetizer. I would also describe it more as a spread than a dip. I used regular cream cheese and regular extra sharp cheddar and added sliced black olives to the topping.
Dec 16, 2013
I added approximately 1/2 cup of sour cream to make this more of a dip instead of a spread and to tone down the sweetness of the creme cheese. Also increased the cumin to two teaspons and used about three dashes of cayenne powder to give it a little bit more kick, although still not too hot for the average taster. Also added sliced black olives to the garnishment. Was a hit at recent work potluck.
Jul 20, 2013
Great recipe without the guilt! I've made this several times and I'm never disappointed.
Jul 20, 2013
Great flavor without the guilt! This is a favorite and my daughter requests this on her birthday
Jul 13, 2013
Great recipe - even my picky children love this one.
May 15, 2013
I would call this a spread rather than a dip. If you want it to be a dip you will need to thin it out with sour cream or whatever you choose. It is very tasty. I served it to my bridge group and everyone really liked it. I would definitely make it a day ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to blend. I would also give it a dash or two more of cayenne pepper if you like it spicier.
Feb 24, 2011
This was very good! Will definitely make it for parties!
May 31, 2010
This was better than I expected. Only made of half recipe and still had some left over though. Will definitely make again, but add some spice to it.
Feb 6, 2010
I love this creamy lowfat full of flavor dip! I have made it several times for parties,and everyone asks for the recipe.It's always a surprise when I mention its lowfat. LOVE IT !!