Quick White Bean Dip
From Benton Harbor, Michigan, Katina Tanner sends a low-fat party starter. "This is a wonderful way o use fresh basil," she says. "Increase the amount of herbs if you like or replace the pita chips with crackers for variety."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Baked pita chips
- In a food processor, combine the beans, oil and garlic; cover and process until smooth. Add the basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Serve with pita chips. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 102 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as White Bean Dip in Light & Tasty June/July 2005