Marinated Three Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, tomato, onion, celery and peppers. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; gently stir into bean mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 184 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 8, 2018
Winner winner around my table. Everyone loved it ! I totally agree with my fellow VFE. This salad needs to sit in the fridge overnight.. I did use about 1/3 cup of water and I upped the difference using olive oil. I grabbed a can of light kidney beans by mistake no harm.Left overs are perfect when added to a garden salad. It really bumps and wakes up ordinarily iceburg lettuce.Add a little Italian dressing if needed.The beans soften and plump up during the over night stay and the taste of the dressing does intensify. Its light healthy and simply tasteful.VFE.
May 5, 2018
Disappointed in this recipe. I made it, sampled it, and then threw it out. I think it was the water in the dressing that spoiled this recipe for me. I have made many other bean salads over the years, all good. I have now learned: don't add water!
Apr 30, 2018
I loved this colorful salad, and it fit right into our low fat lifestyle! I’m giving this 4*. The oregano was a little strong for me, I will cut it back a little next time. Otherwise, a very tasty side dish
Apr 28, 2018
I only made a few small changes. I used low sodium black beans, and I had heirloom mini tomatoes on hand. I rarely have fresh herbs, but made a point to go out and buy as many as I could find for this. I loved all the colors and textures. It gets better as it sits, and though it suggests four hours, I thought it was even better the next day. Awesome with tortilla chips too!
Aug 3, 2012
This is a great summer dish to bring to potluck dinners. It's refreshing and light and full of color. My family loves it and asks for more.