The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1176mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2018
Delicious! Whenever I'm feeling a cold coming on I make this and I swear - it shortens the length of my cold. I contribute this to the hearty amount of protein, veggies, and added garlic. However, I really believe the magic healing powers are from the amount of salt from the broth. It helps to retain more water so that you're hydrated which, arguably, is the most important thing in reducing a cold's lifespan. And well, my boyfriend thinks I can cook now so that's a win. Anyways, make it, it's great.
Dec 1, 2018
In the spirit of having fun, I believe Joeys 2 day minimum is a bit short. Everyone knows that a proper chicken soup begins in the wheat and corn fields months earlier...where the chicken food is grown. We must have organic fed chickens. Further, these chickens must eat only from pecking left to right during a full moon...and in circles during any other moon phase. They must only be slaughtered by straw hat wearing farmers on sunny days. This entire process takes weeks! Having said that, this recipe was a great starter idea for what I put together and was very delicious as is. Two thumbs up
Nov 28, 2018
It might be good but it's soooo not healthy. Just look at the sodium per serving!
Nov 21, 2018
Best chicken soup my family and I ever had. But I did use lots of dill instead of parsley.
Nov 17, 2018
This is a good start for chicken soup!! I created an account too just because Joey is so funny and people are too sensitive! Life is about having fun... stop being so sensitive!!
Nov 16, 2018
Fantastic. Rave reviews from all. Changes: doubled the chicken, tripled the garlic, and used unsalted chicken STOCK (because, who has time to make bone broth?!).
Nov 13, 2018
Lmao Joey!!! Clearly Judy didn't read Lynette's review
Oct 25, 2018
I created an account just to tell JOEY that his comment had me in tears HAHAHHAHAHA. Damn Lynette.
Oct 22, 2018
This is how I make mine but add many more garlic cloves. May I add for those that do not know, that once chicken is cooked through, cooled and de-boned, Add it only before serving at end of soup prep so it does not get tough:)! Also if I have all day, i take the bones and skin and in a separet pot simmer for hours, strain all and de-fat by adding trays if ice cubes. The fat coagulates around cubes and is easily removed. I use this as my base broth.
Oct 15, 2018
Made this tonight. It was delicious. I didnt change a thing.