This is the quintessential Texas-style brisket. Even my husband’s sixth generation Texas family is impressed! I promise, it will be worth the extra effort, because it tastes like a slice of heaven on a plate.—Renee Morgan, Liberty Hill, Texas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Cook: 6 hours + standing
- 1 whole fresh beef brisket (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1/2 cup pepper
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Large disposable foil pan
- About 6 cups wood chips, preferably oak
- Trim fat on brisket to 1/2-inch thickness. Rub brisket with pepper and salt; place in a large disposable foil pan, fat side up. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Meanwhile, soak wood chips in water.
- To prepare grill for slow indirect cooking, adjust grill vents so top vent is half open and bottom vent is open only one-quarter of the way. Make 2 arrangements of 45 unlit coals on opposite sides of the grill, leaving the center of the grill open. Light 20 additional coals until ash-covered; distribute over unlit coals. Sprinkle 2 cups soaked wood chips over lit coals.
- Replace grill rack. Close grill and allow temperature in grill to reach 275°, about 15 minutes.
- Place foil pan with brisket in center of grill rack; cover grill and cook 3 hours (do not open grill). Check temperature of grill periodically to maintain a temperature of 275° throughout cooking. Heat level may be adjusted by opening vents to raise temperature and closing vents partway to decrease temperature.
- Add an additional 10 unlit coals and 1 cup wood chips to each side of the grill. Cook brisket, covered, 3-4 hours longer or until fork- tender (a thermometer inserted in brisket should read about 190°); add additional coals and wood chips as needed to maintain a grill temperature of 275°.
- Remove brisket from grill. Cover tightly with foil; let stand 30-60 minutes. Cut brisket across the grain into slices.
Editor's Note: If your charcoal grill does not have a built-in thermometer, the grill temperature may be checked by inserting the stem of a food thermometer through the top vent.