This traditional Mexican flautas recipe is one of my favorite dishes to make for my family. The spices and onion give the meat so much flavor!—Maria Goclan, Katy, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. Cook: 5 min/batch.
- 2-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 pounds fresh beef brisket
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 20 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream and salsa
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown brisket on all sides. Add onions, peppers, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Drain onion mixture; add to meat. Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry flautas, in batches, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Remove toothpicks. If desired, serve with toppings.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 flauta: 162 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Beef Flautas in Taste of Home Recipes Across America
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.