Baked Beef Tacos
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 12 taco shells
- Chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and 1 can of undrained tomatoes; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, remaining can of undrained tomatoes and, if desired, pepper sauce. Spread onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Stand taco shells upright over bean mixture. Fill each with 1 tablespoon cheese and about 1/3 cup beef mixture. Bake, covered, 15 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and shells are lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 taco with 1/4 cup bean mixture: 277 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2019
knew by reading recipe, this would not work - tacos were delicious, however, they fell apart when trying to get out of the casserole dish - not sure what the plan for this was - deconstructed tacos? no clear guidance in the recipe
Sep 17, 2017
this is not a good idea
Apr 2, 2017
Very good. Didn't care for the soggy bottom. Think I'll try somehow to set the shells on a rack insert or crumbled foil to keep them off the bottom. I used ground turkey and low fat cheese.
Mar 5, 2017
These were absolutely delicious and a must-have in my recipe collection for an encore performance! I used extra lean ground turkey and reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese and they were phenomenal!!! The leftovers were great and heated up wonderfully. One of my favorite TOH recipes to date, and I've been a subscriber since 1998.
Jul 21, 2016
Excellent. Did not change a thing.
Mar 9, 2016
Tasted good but was too mushy on the bottom.
Nov 20, 2015
My family really enjoyed this. It had a lot of great flavor and was fairly inexpensive to make. Yes the bottom of the tacos stayed soft bc they were standing in the refried bean mix but the that didn't bother us.
Nov 16, 2015
The tomato-bean combination is tasty and much better than plain refried beans. I'm not sure I liked the soft part at the bottom, but my family thought it was very good. It just needs some lettuce on the top after leaving the oven.