Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket
Tender slices of beef smothered in onions in a sweet tomato sauce give this entrée an old-fashioned feel. It is simple to prepare and delicious comfort food.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Top with onions. Combine the ketchup, water and wine; pour over meat and onions.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Thicken sauce if desired; serve with beef.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 277 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Gerry's Fresh Brisket of Beef Old-Fashioned Family Favorite in Reminisce December/January 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.