Speedy Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups leftover or refrigerated mashed potatoes, warmed
- Preheat broiler. In a large ovenproof skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mix mashed potatoes and remaining cheese; spread over beef mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 5-6 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 782 calories, 45g fat (24g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 1756mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 52g protein.
Oct 20, 2018
Ian, take a deep breath!! This is a very good recipe and I will call it anything I want.
Oct 6, 2018
Ian, get a life.
Mar 13, 2018
This should not be called a Shepherds Pie ... a Shepherds Pie is made with Lamb ... hence the name SHEPHERD This is sacrilege & an insult to the Irish
Mar 12, 2018
Super simple to make. I added extra vegetables, and didn't broil. Will definitely make again.
Jan 9, 2018
Shepherds Pie is made with Lamb hence the name Shepherd. Cottage pie is made withBeef. I’m sure this “Cottage Pie” is good
Feb 15, 2017
I use mild seasoning because that's what my family prefers. If you aren't a fan of the prepackaged stuff, Taste of Home has a recipe for homemade that is fantastic. I also used 2 tablespoons of minced dried onion instead of fresh. My son gave this two thumbs up, my husband went back for seconds. Leftovers reheated well the next day. It would be easy to make up the meat mixture and freeze it for a future meal as well.
Nov 26, 2016
My family absolutely loved this! Could use ground lamb for a more traditional pie but this was awesome! Will make it over and over.
May 11, 2016
This was so easy and delicious. Will definitely make this one again.
Feb 2, 2016
I'm not a real fan of ground beef unless it's a burger, but this was a great dish for those that do like ground beef in recipes. Husband liked this a lot. I used leftover stuffed cabbage mixture instead of taco seasoning and it turned out very good. Will be making this again.
Aug 3, 2015
My two-year-old son who is very picky at dinner had to helpings of this! It was delicious and full of flavor. Next time I think I will add corn into the beef mixture. I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic.