Riesling and Swiss Cheese Fondue
Cheese lovers are sure to enjoy dipping into this rich and fancy fondue sparked with Reisling. It makes a savory, no-fuss appetizer for the holidays. Don’t be surprised when the pot is scraped clean!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry riesling wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sliced smoked sausage and cubed French bread baguette
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese and flour. In a large saucepan, heat wine and garlic over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan (do not boil).
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/2 cup cheese mixture; stir constantly until almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing cheese to melt almost completely between additions. Stir in the sherry, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Transfer to a heated fondue pot; keep fondue bubbling gently. Serve with sausage and bread cubes. If fondue becomes too thick, stir in a little additional wine.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup fondue (calculated without sausage and baguette): 167 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Reisling and Swiss Cheese Fondue with Hot Chipotle Smoked Sausage Dippers in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013