Riesling and Swiss Cheese Fondue
Cheese lovers are sure to enjoy dipping into this rich and fancy fondue sparked with Reisling. It makes a savory, no-fuss appetizer for the holidays. Don’t be surprised when the pot is scraped clean!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry riesling wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sliced smoked sausage and cubed French bread baguette
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese and flour. In a large saucepan, heat wine and garlic over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan (do not boil).
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/2 cup cheese mixture; stir constantly until almost completely melted. Continue adding cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing cheese to melt almost completely between additions. Stir in the sherry, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Transfer to a heated fondue pot; keep fondue bubbling gently. Serve with sausage and bread cubes. If fondue becomes too thick, stir in a little additional wine.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup fondue (calculated without sausage and baguette): 167 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Reisling and Swiss Cheese Fondue with Hot Chipotle Smoked Sausage Dippers in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.