Beer Cheese Fondue
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makesabout 3 cups
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly crisp, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Toss cheese and flour; stir into saucepan until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream.
- Transfer to a small fondue pot or 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Keep warm; add additional cream if fondue thickens. Serve with toasted bread cubes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 261 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 1, 2017
Thumbs up! We do fondue for New Years eve, but since several family members are not crazy about traditional cheese fondue, we tried this recipe. This was a hit with everyone and I thought it stayed smoother than other fondues I have made. I wasn't sure what kind of cheddar to use, so ended up using Boar's head Vermont Cheddar and I was very happy with it. We served it with toasted rye and french bread, lightly roasted mini peppers and mushrooms and broccoli.
Dec 23, 2013
Very yummy and easy to make. Have made it a few times and always a hit
Jan 15, 2012
Very tastey!!! Stuck with a mild cheddar so you can taste the beer!! :) good crowd pleaser!
Jul 16, 2011
It took me awhile to get the temperature right for the fondue pot, but once that was done, this was a great hit! I warmed the bread for a few minutes, and then finished it when my guests arrived. Being warm made a big difference. When you are from Wisconsin, what better ingredients can you ask for..BEER AND CHEESE!!
Jun 10, 2011
This is the best fondue I have made. I am not a fan of the traditional swiss fondue, so this one was great for us. Kids loved it too, this is a keeper! Thanks for the great recipe, it's fast and easy!
Feb 23, 2011
I have made this twice already. Once at Christmas and for the super bowl. I served it with bread, green apples and carrots!
Oct 2, 2010
Yummy! Worked great in our fondue pot.~ Theresa
Jan 1, 2010
Add some fresh ground pepper and I had a recipe from our favorite fondue place!
Nov 15, 2009
I'm trying to give this recipe 5 stars, and there is something wrong, it won't let me go past 3. This recipe is great. We love it!
Nov 15, 2009
This is a game day favorite! Very easy and delicious!