Beer Cheese in a Bread Bowl
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
Makes20 servings (2-1/2 cups dip)
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) pumpernickel bread
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- Cut top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine cheese spread and cream cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in beer. Microwave, uncovered, 20 seconds longer. Stir in bacon.
- Fill bread shell with cheese dip. Serve with reserved bread cubes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 147 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 2, 2016
Looked really special and tasted pretty good. We added pretzels nuggets for dipping.
Feb 22, 2014
A hit with the guys! Love that there very few dishes! Easy to keep most of the stuff on hand. Of course, I have a teenage boy so we had to up the bacon
Jan 25, 2014
Jan 11, 2014
What a great new twist on the sourdough bread bowl - I did add some onion to the mix before cooking - but it was awesome and a lot of good comments because of the bread
Jan 13, 2013
Only needs 1 jar of cheese as it was too strong tasting.
Jan 1, 2013
Didn't have bacon. Added ground red pepper (1/8 tsp) and garlic powder (1/4 tsp).
Feb 5, 2012
This was deeelicious! I added a little minced garlic and fried my own bacon. The beer really gives it a wonderful flavor. Will definitely make again.
Nov 27, 2011
Very easy to make, good flavor, went over really well at Super Bowl party - especially with the guys who liked the "beer" appeal!
Nov 15, 2011
I think this is the recipe that was such a hit when I made it before. I usually can't stand fake cheese, but in this recipe, it works. My only complaint is that the jarred cheese called for is a tad bit pricey, so I can't make it very often. Still, I would definitely make it again!
Sep 8, 2011
Reviews are written after the recipe has been tested. If a category is noted, the recipe should conform to that category and should be considered when reviewing. This recipe says it is "Quick" and yes it is that. It is also very flavorful. I loved it and will make it again when we have Football Parties
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.