Bacon Cheese Fondue
When I'm looking for an appetizer with mass appeal but want a change from the usual cheese spread, this is the recipe I make. Everyone enjoys the rich flavor. —Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 to 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese cubes; cook and stir until melted. Stir in sour cream, jalapeno if desired and bacon; cook and stir just until heated through. Transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts4 tablespoons: 305 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Fondue in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.