Pretty Penne Ham Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 567 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1344mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Dec 30, 2019
This is my go to recipe for leftover ham following Easter and Christmas. It is delicious and easy and has become a family favorite.
Jul 9, 2019
Very nice recipe
Mar 14, 2019
Dec 28, 2018
I don't often review recipes, but this was such a refreshing take on pasta that I had to! I used leftover ham and the way it browned made it seem almost like bacon. Only changes I made was cutting the oil in half, and it still came out perfect. I added broccoli florets to the pasta water for the last 4 minutes of cook time (it upped the veggie content which is always good). We added the parmesan at the table (some people in my family don't love cheese like I do). I had the leftovers today for lunch and it was just as good as last night, maybe even better! Thanks for a great recipe!
Apr 13, 2018
This was a great base. I added broccoli And asparagus. I Cooked Elbows In Chicken broth for added flavour.It was good but I forgot the lemon juice.that was probably the zing that i was missing.overall I really liked it.
Nov 28, 2017
EASY!I USED LEFTOVER HAM FROM THE HOLIDAY AND THE STOCK INSTEAD OF A CAN OF BROTH!I'LL BE ADDING THIS RECIPE TO THE FAMILY COLLECTION.
Nov 7, 2017
Enjoyed this recipe. The only change I made was omitting the red pepper. I will make again, great way to use leftover ham up.
Jun 18, 2017
What a delightful recipe this turned out be when I tried it last night! I took a chance and used a recipe I'd never made before for company, and everyone loved it! I did cut down a bit on the oil and butter, and didn't use a full three cups of ham, but those were the only changes I made. It's light, easy, and quick to prepare......not to mention delicious!.......and there are so many good vegetable dishes/salads you can pair it with because it isn't a heavy main dish. A real keeper, and will be used frequently in the future!
Apr 8, 2017
I would add some chopped broccoli to it. Maybe a half to one pound. It needs something to give it a lift. I think some carrots or peas would help if you don't care for broccoli. I might also like to thicken the liquid portion before adding the pasta. That would coat the pasta and help the taste.
Mar 11, 2017
didnt seem like a lot of taste but it was nice for a change of pace.