Pretty Ham Primavera
Give leftover ham a face-lift in this tasty pasta dish that mixes up in a wink. The mild cream sauce gets fresh flavor from sauteed mushrooms and a boost of color from frozen peas. —Joan Laurenzo, Johnstown, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package (7 ounces) thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, Italian seasoning, bouillon, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the spaghetti, ham and peas; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 526 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1755mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Pretty Ham Primavera in Quick Cooking November/December 1998