Hearty Ham Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Peel and cube; set aside. Cook the broccoli according to package directions, omitting salt; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add flour and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Stir in ham, soup, potatoes and broccoli.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 259 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 9, 2013
Been quite some time since I've made this, always goes over well! i usually make only half recipe since we are empty nesters. I use the 3 cups chopped broccoli as recipe calls for, and full can **cream of** soup. Cream celery soup works very well, too. How 'bout trying it out on your family!!
Jan 27, 2011
Ham, broccoli, and potato is always a great combination as far as I'm concerned. However, I feel like it's missing something....salt, more pepper, more cheese, etc. Can't really put my finger on it though.
Jan 5, 2011
This recipe was awesome with my leftover holiday ham. I used what I had on hand, frozen veggies since I was out of broccoli, and I was in a hurry and forgot the flour. Also, I only needed two servings so I reduced this significantly, but after all that, it still came out great. Thanks so much for the recipe!! I really enjoyed making this mainly because it didnt have difficult ingredients that couldnt be subsituted.
Nov 24, 2009
Made this with hashbrowns and the whole family loved it!
Nov 24, 2009
Made this with hasbrowns and the whole family loved it!
Nov 22, 2008
maybe use golden mushroom soup for aded flavor