Barbecue Pork and Penne Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (16 ounces) refrigerated fully cooked barbecued shredded pork
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute red pepper and onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the pork, tomatoes, broth, cumin, pepper and salt; heat through.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese to pork mixture; stir until blended. Sprinkle with green onions. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pasta mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in a shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 428 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
May 30, 2018
Made with leftover BBQ pulled pork and had to leave out the red pepper because I didn't have one on hand, but we enjoyed this dish. Quick and easy, very flavorful.
Mar 10, 2018
Yum! This was different, but delish!
Feb 23, 2018
Wow! What a good recipe! We loved it! I made it this morning exactly as written except I used shredded leftover pork roast tossed in some BBQ sauce. Tasted and added couple of shakes of Worcestershire, 1 Tbsp vinegar and 1 Tbsp dried parsley. I left it for flavors to develop until dinner when I reheated it. Family loved it!Next time I make it I think I will sub 14 oz can of diced tomatoes for the Rotel. That way I can control the heat and add hot sauce to taste.
Jan 20, 2018
This was fantastic! It was easy and quick and helped me to use all of my leftover BBQ pork. I never would have thought to combine pasta and BBQ, but it was really tasty. My boys loved it and asked for seconds.
Aug 2, 2017
Excellent recipe! I had a lot of leftover pork so I added it all to this recipe with additional onion, pepper, beef broth,cheese, and bottled BBQ sauce. Served meat sauce over the pasta. Will be freezing half (without the pasta) for another time. My family loved it!
Jan 20, 2017
I had some leftover smoked pork that we cooked over the weekend and used it in this.The whole family loved it! The best part was it was quick and easy! Thank you for sharing!
Dec 5, 2016
Simple and after reading reviews, did full can of broth, whole onion and pepper, 2 cups of cheese, wife doesn't like cooked peppers and whole family liked it, definitely will add to week night dinners. So quick and easy. Complex flavors Can't beat it.
Oct 1, 2016
Great quick meal. Was looking for something different to make and this was excellent choice. Thought it could use more pulled pork then the one container suggested and I will use my own pulled pork next time. Wanted to taste more of it.Found it impossible to add all ingredients and mix up in the frying pan so mixed all in large casserole and it still was overflowing.
Aug 9, 2016
This recipe was AWESOME! Great flavor with a nice kick to it. I though it was a little too dry, next time I make it and there will definitely be a next time I will probably put in the whole can of broth. The green onions on top were the perfect accent to the dish. Thanks for the recipe!
Jul 18, 2016
This recipe is over the top delicious! It was a hit with the whole family and will definitely go in my regular rotation. It was super quick to whip up, and the flavor was incredible.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.