Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground bison
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 slice whole wheat or white bread, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hamburger or steak seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 onion hamburger buns, split
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
- Combine first nine ingredients; mix lightly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties. Press patties into flour to lightly coat both sides.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook burgers over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 minutes per side. Layer bun bottoms with salad dressing, lettuce, burgers, cheese, onion and tomato slices. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 546 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2018
Per Order The Picture Ain't Never What The Directions Call For , And NO Cheese Was Listed !!!
Jul 4, 2016
Great flavor and easy to make!
Jun 27, 2016
Jun 2, 2016
This was a juicy burger recipe, despite not being a whole lot of liquid in the recipe. The wine vinegar really came through and added nice flavor. I loved the toppings-especially the Thousand Island sauce. It cooked up very quickly on the stovetop. This is replacing my current hamburger recipe!
May 26, 2016
These were excellent. Janet VFE