Easy Hamburger Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 226 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Dec 30, 2018
Very good, hearty and easy dinner. I added a couple of potatoes that I had knocking around, used elbow macaroni instead of the barley, and threw in some garlic powder and paprika. My celery was limp and horrible so I didn't use any, but tossed in some frozen peas for some color. A very adaptable recipe. Thanks!
Mar 5, 2018
I take a quick short cut for this soup, I use frozen stew vegetables, Italian seasonings, canned diced tomatoes , along with the hamburger meat. everyone loves it.
Apr 25, 2017
My husband said this I probably the second best soup I've ever had! I just tossed in a couple of shakes of extra spices, seemed a little bland. Also added a few shakes to Worcestershire sauece.
Mar 24, 2017
Very wholesome, easy and delicious soup. You might want to spice it up a bit with garlic and herbs but very yummy.
Jan 29, 2017
I loved this soup and it is very easy and quick to prepare. For added spice I added 1/2 teaspoon of Jatarans Cayene Pepper (or to taste). My diabetic blood sugar numbers are great with this recipe as well.
Mar 2, 2013
This soup is delicious! I add a little garlic because I love it. I add ground peppercorns to taste instead of using whole ones. I top the soup when serving with shredded reduced fat cheddar to get cheeseburger soup. It is awesome and my family loves it.
Sep 9, 2012
Very yummy and easy to make. Really enjoyed this recipe.
Apr 2, 2012
i would cook it in a slowcooker.
Oct 12, 2010
I've been making this for the past 4 years and it never fails to please me! I make exactly as the recipe reads except I use regular barley and add it when the vegetables are simmering for 45 minutes. I also use my tea infuser ball to hold the peppercorns instead of cheesecloth.
Sep 23, 2008
this is a great soup, I added some green peppers from our garden and it was great.Im sharing this with my kids(4)thanks dimplesahli