Contest-Winning Vegetable Soup with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- CARROT DUMPLINGS:
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cold water
- 10 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the onions, carrots and celery in oil for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cabbage and peas.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine baking mix, carrots and parsley. Stir in water until moistened. Drop in 10 mounds onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Garnish with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2013
Wonderful ,hearty soup!
Oct 17, 2013
This soup was surprisingly easy to put together and tasted delicious. I don't think my husband even missed the meat! We will be making this one again.
Aug 27, 2009
This recipe is "OUTSTANDING" and delicious! Carrot dumplings were fabulous! Looking forward to making this soup recipe again and again.