Caribbean Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, ginger and spices; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in kale and okra. Return to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until potato is tender. Add the milk, tomatoes, peas and lime juice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 213 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 954mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 5, 2013
I love the diverse flavors. It's not something I'd want to eat every day, but it's fun for something different.
Jan 12, 2013
i just got back from a trip to St Lucia and missed the flavors they use. this soup is great!
Oct 18, 2012
The broth was wonderful, the powerhouse vegetables used make you feel so healthy for having eaten it. It's an all-around winner for us!
Apr 8, 2012
everyone I gave this soup to loved the many interesting flavors!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.