Bean Soup with Dumplings
Field editor Jane Mullins of Livonia, Missouri often lets her slow cooker simmer this nicely spiced, bean-filled broth while she's busy or running errands.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the first 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. Combine egg white, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop into eight mounds onto boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes (do not lift the cover).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 227 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Bean Soup with Dumplings in Taste of Home February/March 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.