VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 pound medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup marinara or meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, mushrooms, oats, onion, flax and pepper. Crumble turkey and beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a 10-in. x 4-in. loaf. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes; drain. Top with marinara sauce. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Mushroom Meat Loaf in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p51