Glorified Hash Browns
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the soup and cream cheese. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 minutes or until cream cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes and stir until coated.
- Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Sprinkle cheddar cheese over unbaked casserole. Cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 215 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 14, 2019
Cream of Bacon Soup is a real thing but not always available. I found one Walmart in OKC that has it is stock....my local says "out of stock".
Sep 18, 2019
Found Cream of Bacon soup at WalMart! Am making this weekend for a family get-together. Will check back in and let everyone know how it goes ;)
May 29, 2019
SO EASY and delicious with any variety of cream soups. I have made with regular hash browns and the O'Brien style with onions and peppers (better with O'Brien IMO). The family loves this!!
May 5, 2019
This was alright. I ended up putting some ham in mine and seasoned with salt and pepper and that helped some. Took forever for the hash browns to cook fully. It was more like 50 minutes or so.
May 2, 2019
I think Audreyrlange meant to say bean and bacon soup which is made by Campbells.. It is creamy and would certainly work in this delicious recipe.
May 1, 2019
Thank you for featuring this delicious recipe! I'd forgotten about it!! Got out my copy of the June-July 2002 TOH,
May 1, 2019
never seen cream of bacon soup, any suggestion where to find in Minnesota, sounds like it would be amazing in this recipe
Feb 13, 2019
I made this substituting with 2 cans of cream of bacon soup instead of the celery. And used 2 bags of Potatoes O'Brien which has onions and green peppers in it. This turned out so good. Everyone loved it.
Apr 3, 2015
I've made this several times for breakfast meetings. The dish is always licked clean and I always get asked for the recipe.
Jul 30, 2014
Made it for a potluck. Everyone really liked it, and it was so easy to make in the morning before we left for the party.