Hearty Hash Brown Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash potatoes and vegetables to desired consistency. Stir in condensed soup and milk until blended. Add ham, parsley and garlic salt; heat through. Sprinkle servings with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 156 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Feb 15, 2011
Good soup-a bit salty but I added more water and it helped. I would recommend it for something different for supper to try.
Nov 10, 2010
I make this quite often, it's so easy and quick to make! I use hashbrowns with red/green pepper.
Nov 3, 2009
Made some modifications--only 2 cans of soup and specified low salt/reduced fat cream of chicken soup and instead of bullion, used 4 cups reduced sodium broth.