Hash Brown Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 9-11 minutes or until tender, turning once. Cool slightly; peel and cube.
- Place potatoes in a bowl; add onion and red pepper if desired. In another bowl, combine the flour, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over potato mixture and toss.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potato mixture. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Jan 1, 2016
Knew they were doomed from the start, when I took them out of the microwave and they were too soft. I followed the directions, and have a normal microwave, so I blame the recipe. Then, I used a cast iron skillet, which turned out to be a disaster-- not looking forward to cleaning that mess. The flavor was fine, but it was like eating very lumpy mashed potatoes. A little odd for breakfast. Not sure if it's worth trying to tweak or not.
Apr 17, 2009
This is very good. Kind of had my doubts with the milk and flour.Very nummy! Thanks for sharing Holly.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.