Golden Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 9 large potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Place in a bowl; mash and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add to potato mixture. Add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 370 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 6, 2018
A nice side dish, and easy to make ahead. We enjoy a little more flavor, so I add 2 tsp chopped garlic and some fresh chopped parsley and chives from my herb pots.
Dec 1, 2014
My entire family agree that these are the best mash potatoes ever. I saut?ed 2-3 teaspoons of garlic with the onion turned out excellent.
Mar 28, 2012
DELICIOUS! Best mashed potatoes ever! And I love the fact that these can be made up ahead and then finish baking in the oven... less last-minute rush getting supper on the table. I've also made the recipe and froze half of it - they warmed up great too!
Apr 8, 2011
These potatoes are delicious. I was visiting my Grandma's house and she made these to go with dinner. I thought they sounded weird, because they had carrots in them. But I was wrong they are sooooooo good! Best mashed potato dish ever!!!!!!!