Golden Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 9 large potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Place in a bowl; mash and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add to potato mixture. Add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 370 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 1, 2014
My entire family agree that these are the best mash potatoes ever. I saut?ed 2-3 teaspoons of garlic with the onion turned out excellent.
Mar 28, 2012
DELICIOUS! Best mashed potatoes ever! And I love the fact that these can be made up ahead and then finish baking in the oven... less last-minute rush getting supper on the table. I've also made the recipe and froze half of it - they warmed up great too!
Apr 8, 2011
These potatoes are delicious. I was visiting my Grandma's house and she made these to go with dinner. I thought they sounded weird, because they had carrots in them. But I was wrong they are sooooooo good! Best mashed potato dish ever!!!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.