Creamy Hash Browns
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in an ungreased 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over potatoes and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 303 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 1, 2012
I've made this recipe several times for barn potlucks, but I prefer to lighten it up a little. I use one bag of the potatoes with peppers and onions, low fat soups, butter and sour cream, leave out the bacon and reduce the sour cream to 1 cup. It's still very tasty and a far cry from healthy but at least I can eat it without crying lol
Nov 9, 2011
I make a few adjustments to this recipe to suit my tastes. I only use 1 lb of 'shredded' hash browns and I do not use as much bacon that is called for in the recipe. I make this anytime we go to a family get together or a church function and I never have leftovers. :)
Mar 23, 2011
I have made this a few times and love it! I would really like to know what the serving size is though. My son is diabetic and I see it is 18 grams per serving but it doesn't say what the serving size is.....anyone know??
May 10, 2010
Excellent! Made for a mother's day picnic and my family love it.
Apr 5, 2010
I often sub ham for the bacon - also use "real" American cheese & about 1 Tbsp. instant minced onion (the fresh doesn't seem to cook enough for my taste....)
Jan 17, 2010
I normally don't like hash brown casseroles, but this is really, really good. I'll definitely make it again.
Nov 8, 2009
I made this for the monthly church potluck and it was a big hit. There was none left. Will definitely make this again - with a little less onion.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.