Hash Brown Supreme
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and pepper in oil until tender. Add hash browns; cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato, cheese, olives, jalapeno, seasoned salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives; cut into wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 142 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 20, 2017
After reading other reviews I made as directed except I added another tablespoon of oil, cooked the jalapenos with the other vegetables and I seeded my tomatoes. It was delicious! Great side dish to my steaks. I will make this again.
Nov 6, 2011
I made this for Sunday breakfast and, although it was very good flavor-wise, it didn't turn out the way I anticipated. It says cut into wedges?? This is stirred and stirred there are no wedges I just scooped servings out of the skillet. But! I discovered, if you let it sit a while the cheese ends up binding the mixture albeit cold.
Dec 12, 2010
i really enjoyed this recipe aside from all the chopping. very good w/ eggs and turkey bacon
Jul 27, 2010
I liked this recipe, but my boyfriend especially liked this recipe. Going forward, I might try to use a little more oil to make the hash browns a bit crispier. They weren't bad, but they got a little soggy from being mixed in with the vegetables.