Hacienda Hash Browns
I use a clear glass dish to show off my hash brown bake. The bold pepper, cilantro, cumin and garlic make this potato-egg casserole extraordinary. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups crushed tortilla chips, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1-2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Optional toppings: quartered grape tomatoes, thinly sliced green onions, sour cream and salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup crushed tortilla chips in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in hash browns, 1 cup cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, black beans, pepper jack cheese and onion mixture; spoon over chips.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbly. Add toppings of your choice.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked hash browns, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 341 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Hacienda Hash Browns in Breakfast & Brunch 2015 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.