Stuffed Hash Browns
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with onions, salt and pepper. In a small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup potato mixture, pressing down to flatten with spatula. Cook, without stirring, 4-5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil; flip. Cook 4-5 minutes or until bottom is golden brown, sprinkling with 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons bacon during the last minute of cooking.
- Fold hash browns in half; slide onto plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Top with sour cream and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 410 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 27, 2017
What a great idea. These were great. I added a little green pepper to the potatoes along with the onions. Also sprinkled a little cheese on top of hash browns just before removing to plate. Mixed some salsa with the sour cream for topping. Delicious! Thank you for a great recipe.
Jul 16, 2017
What a delicious dish! This will be one that I make for our Christmas morning brunch! You can change up the cheese flavors or add crumbled cooked sausage instead of (or along with ) the bacon! MMMMM good!
Jul 7, 2017
Potatoes, onions and cheese, yeah these were great! I think they would also be good with some peppers added in with the potatoes. I forgot to buy the refrigerated potatoes when I went to the store so I just shredded up some potatoes and it worked fine. This will be a regular on my menus!
Jul 5, 2017
I prepared this for our breakfast this morning and we both cleaned our plates. Delicious. Because it was breakfast, I omitted the sour cream and green onions but loved the onions in the potatoes. I may add more next time. A five star recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 26, 2017
I made these potatoes and they were delicious! The end result reminded me of an omelet! I didn't have shredded hash browns, so I shredded the frozen ones in my food processor. I did use bacon, but made the crispy bacon recipe which I crumbled to use for the filling! I used Monterey-Jack as I didn't have pepper-jack cheese and just ate the taters sans toppings! TOH Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 26, 2017
My daughter (age 12) gave this recipe an "A " and only asked for one substitution next time - to use another cheese other than the pepper jack (this was a little spicy for her). I used a 30 oz. bag of thawed frozen hashbrowns and that yielded 6 servings. At 8 minutes each, one at a time, they were a bit time consuming to prepare, but the outcome was worth it. We will make these again.
Jun 25, 2017
This so delicious! I had a little trouble with the potatoes sticking. My hubby loved them and wanted seconds.
Jun 25, 2017
My family loves to do breakfast for supper & this recipe is now a new favorite! I used Colby Jack cheese instead of the pepper jack but it was still delicious! I will definitely make this again!
Jun 25, 2017
Very tasty, but didn't go together for me as easily as I expected. Will make this again, but will add a little egg to the hash browns so they will actually foldTOH VFE
Jun 24, 2017
These were very good. I used frozen, thawed hashbrowns and they worked great!