Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Sesame seeds, garlic, onion or celery salt
- In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cheese; add milk. Stir slowly with fork. When dough clings together, turn onto well-floured surface. On a floured surface, knead gently 10 times. Roll dough into 12x8-in. rectangle.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise with sharp knife, then into 16 strips. Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking pan. Dip both sides of strips in melted butter. Place two rows in pan. Sprinkle with topping of your choice. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 65 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 19, 2012
Super buttery, to the point where they are crunchy rather than moist. It was a little too rich for my taste
Nov 6, 2012
i have made these for many years. Found the recipe in a 1950's Betty Crocker Recipe book. This was a favorite of my students in Foods classes for 30 years. We also sprinkled cinnamon and sugar over the dips when we made them without the cheese. Garlic was also a great addition to the dough. Oregano was a great addition to the plain dough too.
Nov 26, 2011
If these were round, I would call them cheddar biscuits. I misunderstood the directions, so mine were twice the size as the picture since I cut 16 total strips. We ate them with Round Steak Chili, and the leftovers were great reheated for breakfast.
Oct 27, 2011
This was quite good.
Dec 10, 2010
My girls and I have made this recipe without the cheddar cheese for years. Had never thought to add cheese but will try that next time. These are so DELISH with spaghetti and a nice salad and you might want to double as they don't last long and if they do, are good to just munch on the next day. Thanks for the recipe!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.