Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 146 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2019
These taste good. I thought the dough was a little bit too stiff so maybe should cut the flour by 2-4 tablespoons and see or maybe my butter wasn’t soft enough. I chilled it overnight. Nice plain cookie.
Dec 22, 2018
My grandchildren ate them as fast as I could make them! Great recipe!
Feb 28, 2016
These cookies are so divine! I absolutely loved them and made them twice in a weeks' time. I have tried them by using the original recipe and also by adding the lemon extract and peel and both versions were excellent.
Jun 9, 2015
The name may be a little confusing. It's mainly a good butter cookie, but kind of a butter/sugar cookie combo which is very cool! Like that they're not as sugar-coated!
May 2, 2015
Beyond yummy! I added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (more or less, whatever you want) and bam! You've got peanut butter cookies :D
Dec 9, 2013
I truly love a sugar cookie that is crisp and melts in your mouth! This is a result of using confectioner sugar in the recipe. Excellent cookie Gail Borczyk, Field Editr
Jun 28, 2013
These metlaways really do melt in your mouth. They taste much like a shortbread. Very nice cookie.
Jun 14, 2012
A fantastic, simple recipe - yielding 48 cookies/24 servings. The basic flavor is easy to do - switching the xtracts and using grated lemon peel. Etc.!
Dec 23, 2011
I have been making these cookies for years, and everyone loves them.
Jun 7, 2011
These cookies are execellent, my friends and co-workers love them. I make them all the time.