Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into butter mixture. Divide dough in half; shape each into an 8-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in lemon zest, lemon juice and, if desired, food coloring. Spread over cookies.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 49 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 9, 2011
We make these in 4x batches, roll the dough and freeze. Then freeze icing in plastic bags. When ready to use, slice a corner off the bag and use for a pastry tube. Mom's favorite Mother's Day present is a gift bag full of cookie logs, with icing. And one batched baked of course.
Jan 22, 2011
The only reason I would not make this recipe again is because the meltaway cookie just doesn't match our personal taste. I added more lemon juice and powdered sugar to the frosting to make it tangy, but I agree that the frosting does not set, so storing them is a challenge.
Dec 31, 2010
The cookies were decent, but frosting was all butter with only hint of lemon. Plus, the frosting does not harden and cookies cannot be stacked. I would make these again, but use a different frosting. Probably adapt the Peppermint Meltaway frosting to use with lemon flavoring.
Dec 21, 2010
A great recipe! Can't-stop-eating delicious!
Dec 12, 2009
I made these for Christmas 2008 and am getting ready to make them again for 2009. They are AWESOME!!
Jul 7, 2009
These meltaways are absolutely delicious. Our family's favorite cookie.