Melt-In-Your-Mouth Lemon Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- FROSTING :
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Yellow colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. flower-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, shortening and extracts until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with colored sugar. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2015
These cookies were tasty and flavorful; however, I found the dough to be difficult to roll. It was very crumbly. I would not make this recipe again.
Mar 19, 2015
These are delicious! I must have rolled the dough out thicker than the recipe called for because I only got 2 dozen cookies.
Mar 12, 2015