Lemon Cream Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping thawed
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate until cool.
- In a bowl, combine flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth; carefully spread over crust. Spread with cooled lemon mixture. In another bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low for 2 minutes; beat in vanilla. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread over lemon layer. Spread with remaining whipped topping. Chill for at least 4 hours before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 295 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 10, 2018
This dessert was a home run! I prepared it for my prayer group, my favorite "guinea pigs," and they raved about it. I took a piece the next day to two friends, and they also thought it was delectable. I prepared it the day before serving it because the different layers do take some time. Allowing it to sit in the refrigerator overnight ensured that it was firm when served. The pieces cut nicely, although I used a firm metal spatula to remove carefully the crust layer from my glass pan. Thank you for a wonderful addition to my dessert recipe collection!
Jun 27, 2017
This luscious lemon dessert is to die for!! It is one of my favorite desserts period. It's great for potlucks and topping an Easter meal. I can't say enough about it!!
Aug 23, 2014
This is absolutely, amazingly delicious. I made it as the recipe states and then I thought, "If I am making lemon pudding from scratch, why not the vanilla pudding, too?" So I do. Instant pudding doesn't have the greatest taste. This takes a WHOLE lot longer than 30 min. prep. I fool around making this during the day. Crust must cool, puddings must cool.Must chill for four hours. If you have company, make it the day before. NOTE: this freezes well, but it is a bear to get out of the pan after it is frozen. It does not deter my husband from chiseling it out of the pan. I prefer using the Rich Whip where you have to whip the stuff yourself. Cool Whip doesn't have the greatest taste either. After making the two different puddings from scratch, I am half way to an angel food cake from scratch!!
Jun 21, 2012
Made this for Easter and loved it! A little on the sweet side but awesome just the same! Was gone in two days! Next time I will try to make it a bit healthier but as far as taste - this recipe is awesome! Very creamy and refreshing.
Feb 6, 2012
I found this recipe in June/July 2002 issue I picked up at a garage sale. What a wonder find. Made this for Super Bowl Sunday and it was a big hit with the family. Even the picky eater loved it. Will make this again for sure! Passed the recipe on to my wonderful daughter-in-law, she so loved this dessert.
Jan 17, 2012
Rave reviews at family gathering! Asked 3x's for the recipe. Husband says this is our new family standard for desserts. Took me a bit longer than expected, but more than worth it. Looks beautiful & tastes great. Thank you!
Dec 12, 2011
This is one of my favorite desserts. I have made this numerous times and always get compliments on it.
Nov 9, 2011
This dessert is soooo worth the time and effort! I've made it several times and I get asked for the recipe every time. I followed the recipe exactly and I've also used just a graham cracker crust and both are amazing!! Love it, love it, love it!! Highly recommend it!
Jun 20, 2011
Wow. I made this for Father's day and it was WONDERFUL!!! Give yourself plenty of time. I did not modify at all. I used fresh lemon juice which tasted perfect. I already had a request to make this again. Very rich but worth every minute and "calorie". This is definitely going to be a favorite.
Apr 25, 2011
Made this for Easter, very good,,, but I would decrease the sugar,( we like it tart). Also it wasn't very firm when sliced!! Did I do something wrong?Very tasty so I would make it again!!!!