Cream Cake Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, dry pudding mix and shortening on low speed until crumbly. Add water and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk mixture, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Garnish with raspberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 323 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 7, 2018
This is our family's all time favorite dessert! I am asked to make it for every family gathering.
Apr 9, 2014
This is one of my favorite cakes. It reminds me of a big Twinkie! It's moist, flavorful and just plain delicious. Just be careful, once you start eating it, it's hard to stop.
Jul 7, 2013
I have made this cake many times, and it is always moist. Recently I added a layer of fresh raspberries on top of the cream layer, to give it a pop of flavor, then added the cake layer on top. Delicious!
Sep 13, 2011
Wonderful cake recipe! I have made this many times.
Jul 11, 2011
Made as base for graduation cake. Everyone loved it and came back for seconds!!!!! Even those on diets!!!!!
Jan 17, 2011
I make with choc cake, wonderful
Dec 12, 2007
This is a great dessert for potlucks. Everyone asks for the recipe.