Cream Cake Dessert
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, dry pudding mix and shortening on low speed until crumbly. Add water and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk mixture, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Garnish with raspberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 323 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 7, 2018
This is our family's all time favorite dessert! I am asked to make it for every family gathering.
Apr 9, 2014
This is one of my favorite cakes. It reminds me of a big Twinkie! It's moist, flavorful and just plain delicious. Just be careful, once you start eating it, it's hard to stop.
Jul 7, 2013
I have made this cake many times, and it is always moist. Recently I added a layer of fresh raspberries on top of the cream layer, to give it a pop of flavor, then added the cake layer on top. Delicious!
Sep 13, 2011
Wonderful cake recipe! I have made this many times.
Jul 11, 2011
Made as base for graduation cake. Everyone loved it and came back for seconds!!!!! Even those on diets!!!!!
Jan 17, 2011
I make with choc cake, wonderful
Dec 12, 2007
This is a great dessert for potlucks. Everyone asks for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.