Vanilla Cream Puff Dessert
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups cold 2% milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate syrup
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Continue beating until smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 28-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and pudding mixes until smooth. Spread over the crust; refrigerate for 20 minutes. Spread with whipped topping. Store in the refrigerator. Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 7, 2017
I've been making this recipe for 20 plus years. It is a family favorite. In fact my Husband always wanted this instead of a birthday cake. When I made it I used sugar free pudding along with sugar free whipped topping with my husband being a diabetic. Another added hint I would add sliced bananas to change it up a bit. June
Aug 7, 2017
I have been making this recipe for 30 yrs since I was a teenager. We called it ?clair cake. It is a family favorite.
Aug 7, 2017
Jun 19, 2016
Easy recipe with excellent results! People rave about this cake.
Dec 16, 2014
Delicious! I'd recommend doubling the pudding and whipped topping though....barely enough to cover a layer using this large of a pan. This amount would be perfect for a 9x13 pan.
Nov 13, 2012
Have made this numerous times and always come home with an empty pan. Yummy!
Oct 5, 2012
I have made this numerous times. The end product always impresses everyone and they seem to think it is complicated to make. It is quite simple and absolutely delicious. I would definitely recommend!
Sep 23, 2011
Wonderful dessert! I have made it with sugar free pudding mix and low fat whipped topping for a lighter dessert. Always fabulous.
Jul 21, 2011
This is always the first dessert to go at any gathering. LOVE IT!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I loved this recipe....I bake for a living and my customers loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.