Total TimePrep: 40 min. Process: 10 min.
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 4 cups water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups sugar
- Peel rind from lemons and grapefruit; cut into thin strips, about 1 in. long. Set aside fruit.
- In a Dutch oven, combine water and citrus peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until peel is softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Trim white pith from reserved lemons and grapefruit; discard pith. Cut lemons and grapefruit into segments, discarding membranes and seeds. Chop pulp, reserving juices; stir into reserved peel mixture.
- Add pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 67 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 17g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Aug 5, 2017
something is missing with this recipe, just made yesterday, it is nothing but watery........ would not gel, maybe should have drained the water????? lot of work for nothing!
Nov 30, 2016
How long will it take to firm up once you remove it from the simmering water?
Jan 18, 2015
Mine is not even close to being firm, and I had enough for 8 jars not 6.Haven't made anything like this for many years but very disappointed to spend that much time and have it not turn out.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.