Tuna Cheese Melts
This sandwich dresses up a typical tuna sandwich with American cheese and rye bread spread with a mixture of sour cream and garlic salt. Cooked in a skillet, this sandwich oozes with flavor.—Bernadine Dirmeyer, Harpster, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 slices rye or white bread
- 1 pouch (6.40 ounces) light tuna
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and garlic salt; spread on one side of each slice of bread. In another small bowl, combine tuna and mayonnaise; spread on four slices of bread. Top with cheese and remaining bread; gently press together.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add two sandwiches; toast sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on both sides and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 482 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1099mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Nov 17, 2017
I found this recipe in the August/September 2004 Taste of Home Issue. Apparently I tried it then, and note it as excellent. I can't wait to try it again.
Jan 26, 2011
Awesome and Easy!