Tuna Bake with Cheese Swirls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (12 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter. Blend in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in soup, tuna, lemon juice and salt. Pour into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For dough, combine biscuit mix and milk until blended. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese, pimientos and parsley. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut into 1-in. slices; place over tuna mixture. Beat egg and water; brush over the swirls.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 394 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Jun 27, 2014
A favorite of mine - close to how mom always made it. She added peas or peas and carrots to the soup mixture. After prepping the soup mixture, you add the mixture to the 13x9 dish and put the dish in the oven while you make the cheesy dough swirls. Make the cheesy dough swirls, open the oven and place the swirls atop the soupy mixture in the dish and slide it back in the oven. I hope that helps with any confusion.
May 14, 2009
This recipe is VERY confusing, how can you put the tuna mixture in a 13 x9 dish and still have the swirls??Joy [email protected]
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.