- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup liquid smoke
- 1-1/2 cups hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 16 slider buns or dinner rolls, split and warmed
- In a large bowl, mix brine ingredients, stirring to dissolve brown sugar. Reserve 1 cup brine for cooking chicken; cover and refrigerate.
- Place chicken in a large resealable bag; add remaining brine. Seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat chicken. Place in a large bowl; refrigerate 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from brine and transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; discard brine in bag. Add reserved 1 cup brine and 1/3 cup liquid smoke to chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Discard cooking juices. Shred chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce; heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings (2 sliders each).
Reviews forBBQ Chicken Sliders
"Made over this past weekend. I changed one thing and that was the liquid smoke. The second time I only added two tablespoons instead of the full 1/3 cup. I don't like things too smoky and it was perfect. Very tender chicken and I used my own homemade chipotle sauce and I did add extra because I too like it saucy. Very, very good. Oh by the way, the chicken was not mushy from soaking in the brine, I let my chicken soak for 16 hours. Delicious."
"My family liked this. It seemed a little dry so I added more BBQ sauce, but then, we like things a little more saucy than most recipes suggest."
"Good, a little dry so added more barbecue sauce."
"According to America's Test Kitchen, my source for all cooking rules, NEVER brine chicken longer than an hour or it gets spongy."
"This was Fantastic. I was worried that the chicken would dry out like it usually does with other crock pot recipes, but it didn't. the flavor was great!"
"Wow! Absolutely tremdous! Made exactly as written, flavor was perfect."
"Was very good, made per recipe even though I was skeptical with that much liquid smoke. Wasn't overpowering at all."
"This is amazing! I thought the chicken tasted wonderful before I even stirred in the BBQ sauce. What a wonderful smoky flavor! Big hit with us!"