- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Top each serving with cheese and jalapeno pepper if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for White Chicken Chili
"We loved this. I thought it had just enough heat. I would reduce the broth a bit next time since I like it a little thicker."
"It is a good recipe but I would cut the cayenne to 1/2 tsp. and less if you don't want it to hot.I also added a can of creamed corn. I used a 1/2 of tsp of cayenne and I felt it was still too hot so I added a tbsp of butter to mellow it out."
"Great flavor! It is spicy. Next time may do a little less heat. Strongly recommend !"
"This is an awesome recipe! Full of flavor and spice. I used it the first time I made white chicken chili and have been using it ever since. I once lost the recipe and searched for it for 2 hours because it's so good. My husband, coworkers and family love it! It's pretty spicy but we like spicy. I use 1 tsp. of garlic powder instead of minced garlic. I also add 1 tsp. of salt but honestly it's good with or without it.Also, I have not tried it with the cheese or jalepeno."
"This recipe was very easy to make. My husband and I enjoyed the chilli, but we both agreed it was a bit spicy, and he likes spicy food. I will definitely make this again."