Tempura Chicken Wings
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 15 whole chicken wings (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip section. Place cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken wings, a few at a time, and shake to coat evenly. Place eggs in a shallow bowl; dip wings in eggs.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wings for 8 minutes or until golden brown and juices run clear, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, jelly, soy sauce, ketchup and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place chicken wings in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Pour half of the sauce over wings. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Turn wings; top with remaining sauce. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until coating is set.
Editor's NoteUncooked chicken wing sections (wingettes) may be substituted for whole chicken wings.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 311 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 6, 2012
These are very good, but cleanup was a chore. The next time I make them, I will line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it wih cooking spray. --Anne Metzler, Riverton, WY
Feb 4, 2012
These are my favorite chicken wings. They are not spicy, which is good for us, but the flavor is AMAZING! The only negative is how time consuming they are, but it is worth it!
Aug 27, 2010
I had never made chicken wings before this recipie and I am glad I decided to make them. The sauce that goes on them is very yummy.My daughter keeps asking me when am I going to make them again.
Feb 9, 2010
We made these for our Super Bowl party & they live up to the rating. I loved the texture of the breading!
Feb 3, 2010
These are the best wings my family and I have ever eaten. I made them every year for Superbowl Sunday.
Dec 27, 2009
My husband and kids LOVE these wings! They are a little time consuming, but worth it as a treat.
Aug 26, 2008
try some about 1 1/2 tsp five spice for a different taste. ummm good.