Exotic Five-Spice Chicken Wings
Savor the flavors you crave! These distinctive wings deliver a sweet, salty and slightly spicy taste with every bite. —Barb Miller, Oakdale, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 40 min.
- 12 chicken wings (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, optional
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. In a small bowl, whisk honey, oil, soy sauce, five-spice powder, ginger, salt, garlic powder and cayenne until blended. Pour 1 cup into a large resealable plastic bag. Place chicken wings in bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place wings on a rack in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, turning once. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, turning and basting occasionally with reserved marinade. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds and onions.
Originally published as Exotic Five Spice Chiccken Wings in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016