Mexican Chicken Wings
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes2 dozen (3-2/3 cups dip)
- 12 whole chicken wings (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- JALAPENO CILANTRO DIP:
- 2-1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 green onions, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip section. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add the chicken wings, a few at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-27 minutes on each side or until juices run clear and coating is set.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the dip ingredients; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with wings.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 360 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1416mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 21, 2018
I have made this dip, with and without the wings, many many times since the recipes were published in 2003. The spiced up cornmeal crust on the chicken and then the cool sour cream/cilantro dip are amazing. Don't feel like you have to do wings; I've done regular pieces and made strips, too.
Jun 4, 2012
Easy to make & delicious :)