Tandoori-Style Chicken with Cucumber Melon Relish
We all need a quick, healthy meal that's delicious, too. I marinate the chicken before I leave for work, and when I get home, I do the grilling and make the relish. My husband loves the spicy flavor. If more heat is desired, sprinkle on more red pepper flakes. —Naylet LaRochelle, Miami, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garam masala, salt and pepper flakes until blended. Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate up to 6 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- For relish, in a small bowl, mix cantaloupe, cucumber, green onions, cilantro, mint and remaining lemon juice.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with relish and reserved marinade. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without almonds): 247 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Spiced Tandoori Style Chicken with Cilantro Melon Cooler Relish in Light Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.