Chicken with Cucumbers
Although most often eaten raw, cucumber can also be enjoyed cooked in recipes like this. This interesting chicken dish has an irresistible fresh flavor.—Angela Avedon, Mooresville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. To drippings, add mushrooms and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in flour until mushrooms are coated. Gradually add water and bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Return chicken to the skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice one cucumber into thin slices; set aside. Peel remaining cucumber; slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut into 1-in. chunks. Add to skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir sour cream into sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with reserved cucumber slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 442 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Chicken with Cucumbers in Taste of Home June/July 1996