Baked Chicken with Bacon-Tomato Relish
We eat a lot of chicken for dinner, so I'm always trying to do something a little different with it. My children love the crispness of this chicken and my husband and I love the flavorful relish—you can't go wrong with bacon! —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grv, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. thyme, 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in flour; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place chicken on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until a thermometer reads 165°, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and remaining salt and pepper to drippings; cook and stir until tomatoes are tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in bacon and remaining thyme. Serve with chicken.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 chicken tenders with 1/4 cup relish: 326 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Crispy Thyme Chicken with Bacon-Tomato Relish in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.